Welcome to my blog dedicated to my personal writing creations! I love writing just about anything, especially stories. I hope you enjoy!

Monday, December 24, 2012

Book Review: The Night Circus

The Night Circus -- by Erin Morgenstern

I stumbled across this book when I was in that awkward limbo stage for readers. You know that brief period of time where you're in between books and unsure what to read next, or waiting for your next book to arrive in the mail? I was in the first predicament near the end of summer, and my friend decided to let me borrow The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern because it's one of her all-time favorites. I admit that it's taken me this long to finally finish it (thanks to school), but it was definitely worth it.

The Night Circus starts of a little slow, due to quite a bit of backstory. The entire situation is intriguing and different: two men waging in some sort of game that involves two of their students. The reader doesn't know what this game is, how it's played, or how someone wins. It was a little frustrating not knowing what the game was until close to the end, but that's what builds most of the suspense and mystery about this story. What part does the circus play? Why doesn't Marco perform? Exactly how are the competitors bound together?

Then there's Poppet, Widget, and Bailey. All of the separate stories throughout the novel that end up entwining together, which is something I always really like in novels. In the end, everything makes sense and you have an even better understanding about how people and events work together and how everything came to be. All of these characters and side stories share a fate together in the end, which is slightly unexpected and definitely satisfying.

Morgenstern creates beautiful scenes and situations when describing the circus and the various tents within it. Her creativity and imagination shine through the short blurbs told through second-person narration, helping the reader imagine experiencing the circus first-hand. Morgenstern describes the circus using every sensory detail possible, to give her audience the full effect as if they were actually walking through the circus and visiting the separate tents.

The Night Circus is filled with imagination, magic, and mystery. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy and suspense novels. The characters grow before your eyes, and the story unfolds with more clarity through every chapter. You'll be rooting for Celia and Marco to beat the game, and save the circus from its ultimate collapse. I'm excited that Summit Entertainment has recently gained the rights for this novel, for the imagination and creativity of this piece would be wonderful seen on the big screen.

What I'm reading next: Beautiful Days by Anna Godberson

No comments:

Post a Comment